atw: Re: Research on when customers need or want online help or manuals?

  • From: Christine Kent <c.kent@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:46:53 +0000

We are assuming that the world runs by logic. It does not.  The only item that
matters is the immediate bottom line, and no amount of good research and good
argument is going to matter a d**n if it does not affect the immediate bottom
line.

The product does not have to be “fit for purpose” as long as more gross profit
can be made from the shonky version than from a good version of whatever the
product is. The maths are done between quality and c**p, and c**p wins out
every time.

Corporations run the same way. The bosses are all on KPIs, and those KPIs are
almost always statistically based on invalid measurements of success.  I have
never seen a KPI that placed a statistical value on quality technical writing
(except for the technical writer of course).  KPIs are placed on bringing
projects in on budget and on time, and the component that is the easiest to
drop without management realising it has been dropped is the user support
component. These days it is almost always an afterthought and is rarely costed
in the ongoing costs of running business. The person being measured has long
abdicated to the next even higher paying job long before it becomes apparent
that whatever project they were running has failed implementation and is now
requiring massive, costly and mostly fruitless patches.

The debate here is not about how to convince bosses to use logic and thus
ensure good documentation, but how to get organisations to change their ways of
measuring success.

Good luck with that one.

Cheers, Christine

Christine Kent | Technical Communications
Direct: 03 9947 3730 | Tel: 03 9947 3700 | Fax: 03 9947 3701 |
<http://www.hpv.org.au/>
Level 34, Casselden Place, 2 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne 3000
www.hpv.org.au<http://www.hpv.org.au/>

Working with Victoria’s health sector to achieve best-value supply chain
outcomes