atw: Re: Product of choice

  • From: "Steve Hudson" <adslyy5g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:40:23 +1000

I stick with MS Word as the WP, it is cheap and everywhere. Additionally,
the Office 12 suite directly addresses many basic issues we have had for
years. I am sure many MS users will find a big advantage to using its
features for corporate documentation needs. I prefer Office because I can
easily integrate it with other technologies in order to deliver a seamless
information management experience for the user.

As the years roll by, the actual authoring experience is decreasingly
meaningful. We are seeing the integration of products by way of XML data, so
that some documents are never actually authored - they are produced on
demand as a sophisticated report.

Which of the companies out there do I feel is making significant efforts in
this direction? Well MS is the obvious winner, with many new products and
features aimed squarely at this target audience. Adobe is approaching it
from a print publishing angle, which will never be congruent to corporate
office requirements. It can be forced to fit, but I find the match poor. XML
is the way of the future, but with proper tools it is slowly becoming an
invisible layer underneath our content, rather than hand-coded frameworks.
Tools that support this are the tools we need to use.

That being said, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are must haves if you work
with gfx. Visio for flowcharts, PowerPoint for simple slide assemblies. With
the new interface coming with MS Longhorn, I can see a certain amount of PP
work going out as simple applications so its ongoing use, or its OOS
equivalent, is somewhat debatable. Some wort of PP package will always be
around for the low end users, but as the high-end users we will want to
avail ourselves of the new interface features available in small, quick and
easy to develop applications.

More and more I see the requirement for 'interactive' documents. Whereas
some of this can be achieved using the web, the old document format is still
highly desirable for many corporate users. Thus I need a platform with a
rich API. WP and MS Word both fit this category for me.

Steve