atw: Re: Product of choice

  • From: Craig Hadden <craig_john_hadden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atw <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:49:03 +1000 (EST)

Christine,

Unless InDesign has changed radically in the last
couple of versions (my experience is with version 2),
I think it would be an extremely poor choice for
creating manuals. For example, it didn't (doesn't?) do
cross-references, and I don't think it can create an
index either.

Lack of those features would surely be a show-stopper
for a software manual.

I seem to remember that PageMaker's indexing is poor,
too, but someone once recommended a tool called Sonar
Bookends to improve that. So that might be worth a
look if you do stick with PageMaker (which at least
your document maintainer is familiar with). If you're
not doing so already, do use Story view to edit the
text ? it's a bit like Word's Normal view. I think you
used to be able to choose Story from the Edit menu in
PageMaker.

Hope that helps,
Craig

===== My e-mail address is: