atw: Re: Groktalks for tech writers

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:05:52 +0800

Well, that's why I suggested "FrameMaker for Word users". I doubt you could
usefully cover All About FrameMaker or even FrameMaker 101 in ten minutes.

I don't think "familiar concept, different name" needs to be in a groktalk.
"Same name, different concept" is much trickier--things like templates and
frames would be well worth covering because they're more likely to trip up
Word users who are learning Frame.

Unfamiliar concepts are definitely worth covering. They are "unknown
unknowns", as Donald Rumsfield might say. These would be things like
generated lists, reference pages, master pages and conditional text.

You won't master any of these things in a brief talk, but having grokked or
grasped them, you're off to a flying head start.

Cheers
---
Stuart Burnfield
Information Developer