atw: Re: Groktalks for tech writers

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:01:11 +0800

Great idea. There must be many medium-sized topics that don't get covered
because they're too long to handle comfortably in e-mail or on a list, but
don't really require the full treatment in a 30-minute presentation.

There are some practical tips that could be covered at lightning speed in a
ten-minute session ("5 handy shareware utilities for TWs"; "JavaScript
Tricks"; and so on) but I think a Groktalk is best suited to getting across
key ideas. Some examples might be:

- regular expressions. Understanding regexp helped me do about a month's
tedious text editing in a couple of days (although in doing so I probably
put eight Chinese cockies out of a job--sorry Steve :^)
- what is a structured document
- FrameMaker for Word users (and I think ten minutes on a couple of basic
concepts would more than take care of the infamous FrameMaker learning
curve, but don't get me started)

Any other suggestions?
---
Stuart Burnfield