atw: Re: First Gig Coming Up

  • From: warren.lewington@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:50:56 +1000

I have no doubt the contracting resource is valued, and the last few
clients I have had didn't want to let me go at the level I worked with.
IDS have wanted to get me back there to do more stuff for them but we
haven't been able to tie anything up (more timing than anything else).

But, I am being let go at Metso because a manager in Perth wants to keep
his bonus, via cost cutting. Meanwhile there is so much work in the mining
equipment supply business that they cannot find extra staff to cope! But
now "the engineers can do the manuals" is the answer, and they a): Can't
use MS Word; b): Happily admit they have trouble stringing coherent
written sentences together; and c): are over-busy now.

And someone else here in Sydney wants my office... Because he is
special...

The coal face engineers want it because they know they need it, but the
ones bean counting and remote to the real work don't see the need.
Therefore the technical writing resource is not valued here.

I have no doubt Metso will need me/another tech writer again.

There are no friends or favours in business. You might enjoy your work,
don't extend the courtesy to managers, they hate anything that affects
"bonus" and if it is something they can't see as a value add to their
bonus (even if it value-adds long-term to the business) they won't say
yes.

Moral for the week:
'Bone them before they bone unto you'.

Here endeth the lesson (or is that lesion?).
Cheers Everyone;
From he who ski's in Canadia next week. For five of them.

Warren Lewington
Technical Writer