atw: Re: Discrimination

  • From: "Christine Kent" <cmkentau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 08:39:24 +0100

I didn't say there is nothing we can do about it, and I am certainly not
copping out.

I will work on how we change attitudes while you make sure the legislation
is there to protect us. Both need to be in place for either to succeed.

I have spent my life as an active feminist, subject to constant abuse and
ridicule for daring to state openly that I am a feminist, so I do know
something about the resistance of discriminatory attitudes - those of an
anglo culture towards intelligent capable women - to legislative
enforcement. We feminists were not good at PR, at changing perceptions, so
we lost.  We thought that all we had to do was get legal equal rights and
simply prove how good we are.  We were wrong.  The statistically
demonstrated status of women has been on a serious decline for quite a few
years now.  Perceptions of our incompetence and lack of worth compared to
men have not changed.

That experience has led me to realise that attitudes do not change just
because they are legislated to change.

I have spent too much of my life as the token intelligent woman in a male
dominated occupation, and now as the token intelligent OLD woman in any
environment, to want to spend any more of it as the token anyone.  I want
the company of my own kind around me, engaging in an active and deliberately
aware campaign to  change those perceptions.

But first we have to ensure that the perceptions are not correct.

Christine