atw: Re: Discrimination

  • From: "WongWord@xxxxxxxxx" <wongword@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 09:32:07 +1000

In my experience when staff are offered Word training courses noone enrols for
the Word Basics course because "I know all that".

Then they turn up at advanced with me and they can't keep up because they don't
know the basics such as Bob describes and more.

This is an interesting situation for TW. It indicates the importance of naming
things correctly. Never call it Word Basic, choose something along the lines of
Word Refresher/Getting the most out of Word  ...

When we wanted staff to use a Word template we employed an expert to design a
really smart template which included, for example, all the standard fixed
wording, prompts for what content to include, auto para numbering,  links to a
guide about content and had buttons in the menu bar for the major styles. Only
a few people struggled and they did eventually catch on. Luckily senior
managers would only review correctly formatted documents. (These snr managers
were not stupid. They weren't going to struggle with badly set out documents
which were harder to understand.) This forced writers to get their formatting
correct in the first place or their work just wasn't reviewed and they would
miss deadlines.

Irene