atw: Re: Discrimination

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 11:06:54 +1000

Yes, a very good point. The ASTC(NSW) offered Advanced Word training
courses and specifically said the knowledge of styles was a prerequisite,
but even so I heard that at least one person enrolled without knowing what
a style was. Perhaps that person thought the word was being used in a
non-technical sense, to mean something like 'a way to lay out a document to
look good' - and thought 'well, I know about that'. How do you get around
that - where people don't know what they don't know? I don't think even
careful naming would avoid that one.

I think that's why some employers like to see samples of work presented in
Word (where that's software that's used) rather than in PDF - so they can
examine whether the document uses styles and the author has applied them
intelligently.

Howard