atw: Re: Avoiding Char styles

  • From: Bob T <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 00:56:59 +1000

>Using the keyboard is far quicker than plucking things from the ribbon.<

I ended up in a discussion about this with JoAnn Hackos on one of her
courses, many years ago.

While I politely listened to her politely telling me that I was wrong, I
remembered the old mainframe code editors.

They had many edit functions that are all keyboard-based.  Experienced
editors-coders-programmers were blindingly fast.

And that was the difference – experience.

If you know the commands, it is very fast.

If you don’t know the commands, browsing the ribbon or toolbar is a fast
way to use something you don’t really know.

But using a prompt card* taped to the keyboard makes the key-based
shortcuts much faster to use.
* what was the term for them?

Bob T

On 15 September 2014 21:41, Neil Maloney <maloneyn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15/09/2014 7:33 PM, Terry Dowling wrote:
>
> I ain’t gonna pay for an update for ME (let alone YOU)
>

> You can't get an upgrade for Windows ME, it isn't supported any more.
> Never heard of this Windows YOU.
>
> Neil.
>
> *Reduce your carbon footprint, fuel your debates with **testosterone**.*

Bob Trussler