atw: Re: Avoiding Char styles

  • From: "Terry Dowling" <Terrence.Dowling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:40:28 +0800

I’m with Stuart and Neil on this one, too. Using the keyboard is far quicker
than plucking things from the ribbon. Maybe we should nickname the ribbon as
“pheasant” and that means I’m not a pheasant plucker.

And, I’ve been able to do plenty of things on 2003 (particularly with heading
numbering) that seem to be impossible in later versions. And, if the heading &
list numbering remain the same as Christine suggests, there’s very little
reason for updating. I’d rather save money by not “upgrading” (updating is more
accurate, or profit-making as Darren suggests), by not having to (re)learn
software that seems to make people less efficient.

I have few problems with crashing and I have huge, complex documents.

Maybe if 2003 was used intelligently, we wouldn’t be wasting time and money
pursuing alternatives where the important things haven’t improved. Still
wondering what the new functionality is that we require. My version of 2003 is
powerful and robust and does pretty much everything I want far more easily and
quickly than I’ve seen or heard of anyone doing with later versions.

Cheers,

Terry

From: Neil Maloney

"if it's not broken, don't fix it".

I'm getting more interested in this part of the thread as it continues to grow,
because I just don't understand how 2003 is "broken". Please keep in mind I'm a
keyboard person, i.e. I'm not interested in all those wonderful new spiffy
dialogs that let you do things more easily, I use keyboard commands for that,
including firing up a macro via the keyboard.

Neil.

On 15/09/2014 4:19 PM, Stuart Burnfield wrote:

Microsoft Office/OS software has 'islands of stability'. Word 97/NT4 was one,
from memory. Word 2003/XP was another. We have Word 2010/Win7 here and they
work well.

Word 2003 is pretty long in the tooth. But taxpayers should applaud the
cautious, money-saving impulse. Rolling out software upgrades is expensive, and
you don't want to set sail too soon and founder on one of the 'reefs of
crappiness' like Vista.

--- Stuart