[austechwriter] XML again

  • From: "Andrea Tappe" <A.Tappe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austechwriter Group (E-mail)" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:48:10 +1000

Hi everyone,

Thanks for you helpful tips. Bruce, Sonja, Peter - unfortunately, it has =
been decreed from upon high that the Tech Writer Shalt Use Word. I am =
not real happy about this, as I've put in three proposals that we switch =
to AuthorIT (I've been pushing for it ever since you first recommended =
it to me last year Sonja - Michael must be sick of me by now!). I've =
used FrameMaker in the past too, and would be quite happy to use it =
again.=20

I think Michael has hit the nail on the head - unless I can convince the =
boss that there is some substantial financial benefit in doing this and =
doing it properly, it won't happen. I did put a cost/benefit in each of =
the proposals - God knows, I had dozens of examples of times when the =
cost of making minor changes was completely out of proportion to the =
scope of the change - but it didn't seem to sink in. I guess this sort =
of ties in with our need to ramp up our sales skills so that we can =
convince people that we are more than 'slightly brighter than average =
secretaries'!

It would seem that the primary lure of XML is that it is seen as 'cheap' =
if you get it with Word and also 'easy'. I'm getting somewhat nervous =
now, as I can see that if I fail to deliver the goods, the failure will =
probably not be attributed to M.S. and their half-a$$ed fiddling with a =
perfectly good standard......

Also - comment in response to Christine and Steve - we recently got a =
Commander phone system, which circulates calls around the office. If the =
receptionist doesn't answer the phone in 5 rings, guess where the phone =
rings next? Go on, you'll never guess........

Thanks and regards

Andrea Tappe

Technical Writer/Webmaster
QSR International Pty Ltd