atw: Re: [austechwriter] XML again

  • From: "John Murphy" <john.murphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:41:13 +1000

On the subject of migration to XML, I have spent a couple of weeks
evaluating the tools that everyone recommended. Thank you all for your
help there. I have convinced management that I should perform the
transition for one product as a 'proof of concept' task. I have selected
a very dynamic tool (our 3G handset protocol analyser) that outgrows its
printed manual each & every day. I will purchase a desktop version of
AuthorIT and will use that to transform from hard copy manual to a much
more detailed and up to date context sensitive help system and a
tutorial based "Getting Started" Guide which I expect to double as a
training manual.

I have read many different opinions of AuthorIT. Before I raise the
purchase order, I should like to ask if anyone has any negatives they
would like to get out..i.e. the database was too micky mouse, it was too
slow for my 1000 page docs, the support crew were useless, the upgrade
to enterprise edition was too confusing.

If this project is to be successful, I need to know what the risks are
and to plan to meet them.

Any takers?

BTW I shall attend the Sydney meeting on Wednesday night if you want to
browbeat me in person on this topic.

John Murphy
Documentation
Dilithium Networks

TEL:   +61 2 9215 4624
FAX:  +61 2 9215 4699
MOB: +61 415324479
john.murphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Communications for a Borderless World

This electronic message contains information from Dilithium Networks Pty
Ltd which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended
to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are
not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.
If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us
by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.