[austechwriter] Re: How useful is the Chicago Manual of Style for Australian conditions?

  • From: "HALL Bill" <bill.hall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:50:40 +1000 (EST)

I have followed Chicago since long before I migrated to Australia. However,=
 the better international style manual is the CBE Editors - originally focu=
ssed on biological journals - but much better organised and written than Ch=
icago.

Lets hear it for the M-W Third International. I own a copy and have online =
access to the Oxford English Dictionary via the Monash Uni library. OED is =
an excellent reference if you have access to it, but there is no comparison=
 with M-W. If you really want to understand the usage of a word, its histor=
y and thoughtful comparisons to related terms there is no better source - u=
nfortunately, M-W is at home, it is not portable and I don't have electroni=
c access... so I use OED for most requirements.

Bill Hall
Documentation Systems Analyst
Head Office, Engineering
Tenix Defence