[austechwriter] Re: Can anyone help with some numbers?

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:28:01 +0800

Janet, I had the same problem with a ~180 page / 100s of crossrefs
Word doc a couple of years ago. One thing that helped a lot was
adding a flag to the cross-reference field that locked it.
I think it was the \! flag, which Word Help describes like this:

   Prevents a field that is included in the result of a BOOKMARK,
   INCLUDETEXT, or REF field from being updated unless the
   field result in the original location has changed. Without this
   switch, Microsoft Word updates fields included in a field result
   whenever the BOOKMARK, INCLUDETEXT, or REF field is updated.

You can display field codes, do a find/replace to add the " \!" to
every REF field, toggle field codes back to non-display, then Save.

For me this reduced the problem from many times a day to
once every day or so.

This is all from memory though -- knowledgeable Word people,
please chime in if any of it doesn't sound right.

Elizabeth said:
> ... but really, what's the point in having to do everything in
> such a manual way. Might as well be using TextPad.

Funny you should say that -- at the moment I'm using TextPad
to maintain 11 manuals (~4,400 pages) in SGML format. Actually
works pretty well!

---
Stuart Burnfield
Information Developer                        Email: sburnf@xxxxxxxxxx
Australian Programming Centre      Phone: +61 8 9261 8719