[audacity4blind] Re: tracks in 1 project

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 12:08:10 -0500

You will probably continue to hear the audio.  Make a test recording to
find out.  I am not familiar with certain settings in audacity that may
affect what you hear but if you are using default Audacity settings, you
should hear the audio whether Audacity is paused or not.  If you don't
hear the audio, let the list know and people who know more about certain
audacity settings may discuss what to change.  but I don't think you will
have such a problem.

I don't know how good you are at pausing a recording and resuming at the
right place.  When people recorded using tape recorders, pausing the tape
is what people usually did and their recordings sounded like it, too.
Pauses would be of different lengths, bits of unwanted material would
often be included at the point where the recording was paused, in other
words, the results were sloppy.  If you want good clean breaks, let the
recorder continue to record and edit the recording after you finish. I'm
not telling you what to do.  I'm saying that, unless you are both skilled
and lucky, breaks you create with pause are often going to be sloppy. And
if you learn to edit, you don't have to worry about starting a recording
early and letting it run late.  You will be able to edit out the unwanted
material before and after the program. If you are pausing the recording
and making recordings just for your own listening, you may not want to
edit them.  You may want to use pause as we have been discussing.  but if
you are concerned about making a higher quality recording with clean
breaks, then pause is not the way to do so.

this presentation, by me, introduces the listener to information about
using audacity, including basic editing.  At this point, it sounds as
though you are learning in a disorganized manner, picking up bits of
information here and there.  You need some sort of organized way of
learning, at least for a time when you start to learn about Audacity.
You can download the presentation at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25812011/Audacity%20And%20Mp3%20Direct%20Cut.zip
the first part deals with Audacity.  The second part deals with Mp3 Direct
Cut, another recording program you may or may not be interested in.

Gene