[audacity4blind] Re: time shifter plugin

  • From: Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 07:33:32 +0100

2014/1/4, Brad Erhardt <brad.erhardt@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I have been playing with the time shifter plugin by David R. Sky. If anyone
> is familiar with this it allows you to put two numbers in representing the
> amount you want the left and the right channels shifted. Then you select
> seconds or milliseconds and press okay.
>
> The strange thing is however that no matter how many times I seem to make
> sure that only one track is selected the timeshifter plugin seems to be
> shifting both my tracks. If anyone can give me some clues as to how to fix
> this it would be appreciated.
The plug-in just works with the tracks selected, it can't modify the
number of tracks. Therefore, you must have unintentionally selected
both tracks.
I assume that either the undo command or the "Select all if nothing is
selected"-preference has played that trick.

First case:
- both tracks were selected
- you've deselected one track
- you've applied the time shift tool.
- the shift was to large/small, so you've pressed undo
- You've now tried another value but...
- ...both tracks are moved now.

This is because the undo action reselects both tracks again--a quite
annoying behaviour.

If you want to "freeze" the selection and solo/mute states, you have
to call a dummy effect (for example amplify by 0 or an analyse effect
or "()s" in the nyquist prompt).

Second case:
- only one track is selected
- Selection has a length of zero
- if "Tracks-->Select all Audio in Project if none Selected is
checked, all tracks over the whole time extent will be selected
automatically, if you try to time-shift.

Uncheck the mentioned check-box for this case.
In future, a message box will appear if the selection has zero length.