[audacity4blind] Re: mixing two audio files

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:27:16 +0000 (GMT)

Hi William,
if you want to edit a single track, then that track should be selected, and all
the others should be not selected. Pressing enter changes whether the focussed
track is selected or not.
When you apply an effect, or copy or delete etc, all these commands are
applied to the selected audio. And the selected audio consists of the audio
data which is contained in the selected track or tracks and lies within the
time range which you've selected.

 Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: mixing two audio files
 To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, 4:35

 hi david. i will try that. but, i
 guess if i am listening to the right
 track i can also edit that track if in focus. so, my
 question was
 aimed at after importing two or more discreet tracks how to
 focus on
 each track in turn to edit. william

 On 11/18/13, David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:
 > Hi William,
 > do you mean how to you listen to a single track is
 there are more than one
 > tracks?
 > You can toggle the solo setting of the focussed track
 by pressing shift+s.
 > If one or more tracks have the solo setting on, then
 only those tracks are

 wrote:

 >  Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: mixing two audio
 files
 >  To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >  Date: Saturday, 16 November, 2013, 14:22
 >
 >  interesting discussion. question. how
 >  do you focus on a single track
 >  after inserting multiple discreet tracks of
 music, voice? i
 >  think i
 >  have just lucked out. thanks. william
 >
 >  On 11/16/13, David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 >  wrote:
 >  > Hi Gary, thanks for pointing out and
 correcting the
 >  typo,
 >  > David.
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > On Fri, 15/11/13, Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
 >  wrote:
 >  >
 >  >  Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: mixing two
 audio
 >  files
 >  >  To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >  >  Date: Friday, 15 November, 2013, 19:09
 >  >
 >  >  Select from cursor to end of selected
 >  >  tracks is Shift+k, edited below.
 >  >
 >  >  Gary
 >  >
 >  >
 duck
 >  effect. Note,
 >  >  that you have to
 >  >  import rather than open files if you want
 >  create tracks
 >  >  out of more than
 >  >  one file in a  project. This is because
 opening
 >  a file
 >  >  creates a new
 >  >  project, unless the project is a newly
 created
 >  empty
 >  >  project. On the file
 >  >  menu, open the import sub menu, and choose
 audio
 >  >  (ctrl+shift+I). So if
 >  >  you've got two files, you can open or
 import the
 >  first one,
 >  >  but you have to
 >  >  import the second one.
 >  >
 >  >  Auto Duck
 >  >
 >  >  The Auto Duck effect reduces (ducks) the
 volume
 >  in the
 >  >  selected audio during
 >  >  the periods in which the level of another
 track,
 >  known as
 >  >  the control track,
 >  >  exceeds a certain threshold. The Auto duck
 effect
 >  uses the
 >  >  track which comes
 >  >  immediately after the last selected track
 as the
 >  control
 >  >  track.
 >  >
 >  >  So, for example, if you've got one music
 track,
 >  and one
 >  >  voice track in the
 >  >  project, and you want to reduce the volume
 of the
 >  music when
 >  >  there's speech
 >  >  in the voice track:
 >  >  1.Make sure that the music track is the
 first
 >  track. If it
 >  >  isn't, you can
 >  >  move a track up or down the track table
 by
 >  opening its menu,
 >  >  and choosing
 >  >  Move Track Up or Move Track Down
 respectively.
 >  >  2.Make sure that the voice track is not
 >  selected.
 >  >  3.Select all the audio in the music track.
 To do
 >  this, first
 >  >  make sure that
 >  >  the track is selected. Then select a time
 range
 >  that
 >  >  includes all the audio
 >  >  in the track: press J to move the cursor
 to the
 >  start of the
 >  >  audio in the
 >  >  selected track, and then press Shift + K
 >  select from the
 >  >  cursor to the
 >  >  end of the audio in the selected track.
 >  >  4.On the Effects menu, open the  Auto
 Duck
 >  dialog, and
 >  >  if you've happy with
 >  >  the default settings, then just press
 Enter to
 >  press the
 >  >  default OK button.
 >  >
 >  >  Auto Duck settings:
 >  >  - Duck amount. This is the amount of
 volume
 >  reduction of the
 >  >  selected audio
 >  >  during the periods when the level in the
 control
 >  tracks
 >  >  exceeds the
 >  >  threshold. Its given in decibels, and its
 default
 >  value is
 >  >  -12dB.
 >  >  - Maximum pause. If the time between two
 periods
 >  when the
 >  >  level in the
 >  >  control track exceeds the threshold is
 less than
 >  the Maximum
 >  >  pause
 >  >  parameter, then the selected audio
 continues to
 >  be ducked in
 >  >  this time –
 >  >  there isn't a fade up and then a fade
 down. If
 >  for example
 >  >  the control track
 >  >  contains speech, then if there are pauses
 less
 >  than the
 >  >  maximum pause, then
 >  >  the selected audio continues to be ducked
 during
 >  this
 >  >  period. The default
 >  >  value of Maximum pause is 1 second. Note
 that
 >  regardless of
 >  >  this setting the
 >  >  Maximum pause is always at least the sum
 of the
 >  outer fade
 >  >  lengths, which
 >  >  are described below.
 >  >  - Fade lengths. The time over which the
 volume in
 >  the
 >  >  selected audio is
 >  >  faded down to the reduced volume is made
 up of
 >  two parts.
 >  >  The volume of the
 >  >  selected audio can start to fade down
 before the
 >  level in
 >  >  the control track
 >  >  starts exceeding the threshold. This time
 >  interval is known
 >  >  as the outer
 >  >  fade down length, because it occurs
 outside of
 >  the time when
 >  >  the threshold
 >  >  is exceeded, and its default value is 0.5
 >  seconds. In
 >  >  addition, the volume
 >  >  can finish fading down after the threshold
 starts
 >  to be
 >  >  exceeded. This
 >  >  interval is known as the inner fade down
 length,
 >  because it
 >  >  occurs inside
 >  >  the time when the threshold is exceeded,
 and its
 >  default
 >  >  value is 0 seconds.
 >  >
 >  >  In an entirely similar manner, the time
 over
 >  which the
 >  >  volume in the
 >  >  selected audio is faded back up is also
 made up
 >  of two
 >  >  parts: the inner and
 >  >  the outer fade up lengths, which have
 default
 >  values of 0
 >  >  and 0.5 seconds
 >  >  respectively.
 >  >
 >  >  - Threshold. The selected audio is ducked
 during
 >  the periods
 >  >  when the level
 >  >  in the control track exceeds this
 threshold. It's
> [...]
 >  >   track and use the track align options
 >  to move the voice
 >  >   track to where you want it to start.
 >  Then make sure only
 >  >  the
 >  >   music track is selected, select the
 >  audio by pressing j
 >  >   shift-k  and apply Auto Duck. If you
 >  want The music to
 >  >   fade to silence during the voice track
 >  cut it off where
 >  >  you
 >  >   want it to end and perform a fade
 >  before applying Auto
 >  >   Duck.  Cheers,
 >  >   RobbieFrom: audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >  >   [mailto:audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
 >  >   On Behalf Of Mike Bernard
 >  >   Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:43
 >  PM
 >  >   To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >  >   Subject: [audacity4blind] mixing two
 >  audio
 >  >   files
 >  >    Hello fellow Audacity users,I'm in
 >  the process of
 >  >  creating a demo
 >  >   recording for an online radio station
 >  to which I'm
 >  >   thinking about joining in the near
 >  future.I'd like to add
 >  >  music to an
 >  >  already
 >  >   existing audio file in such a way that
 >  I can combined the
 >  >   music and the audio file together.
 >  Thus, when the
 >  >  completed
 >  >   file is played back, in the beginning
 >  of the recording,
 >  >  the
 >  >   music will start to play first, then
 >  after so much time,
 >  >  the
 >  >   music will fade slightly and the audio
 >  file containing me
 >  >   speaking will play, creating a smooth
 >  balance between my
 >  >   voice and the music, similar to what
 >  happens when someone
 >  >  is
 >  >   talking live over the radio with
 >  background music playing.
 >  >   Then, once that recording is done, I
 >  can fix it so that
 >  >  the
 >  >   music will either fade back up, or
 >  fade to silence
 >  >   completely, when the speaking portion
 >  of the recording is
 >  >   done. Thus, allowing me to create a
 >  somewhat professional
 >  >   sounding recording. I say somewhat
 >  professional, because I
 >  >   don't have any pro audio equipment or
 >  anything fancy
 >  >   like a studio would. Also, is there a
 >  way to get audacity
 >  >   record in stereo?
 >  Thanks.MikeRochester, NY.
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >  The audacity4blind web site is at
 >  >  //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
 >  >
 >  >  Subscribe and unsubscribe information,
 message
 >  archives,
 >  >  Audacity keyboard commands, and more...
 >  >
 >  >  To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send
 an email
 >  >  audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >  >  with subject line
 >  >  unsubscribe
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >  The audacity4blind web site is at
 >  >  //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
 >  >
 >  >  Subscribe and unsubscribe information,
 message
 >  archives,
 >  >  Audacity keyboard commands, and more...
 >  >
 >  >  To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send
 an email
 >  >  audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >  >  with subject line
 >  >  unsubscribe
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > The audacity4blind web site is at
 >  > //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
 >  >
 >  > Subscribe and unsubscribe information,
 message
 >  archives,
 >  > Audacity keyboard commands, and more...
 >  >
 >  > To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an
 email to