Re: [artworks] Page Size Limitations

  • From: tez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:00:41 GMT

In message <5195604244robnews@xxxxxxxxxx>
          "Rob Hemmings (news2)" <robnews@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The drawfile concerned is a family tree and I wanted to use Artworks
>> to create a single page pdf of the tree. This it will do successfully,
>> but it is limited to the defined page, ie 3000mm maximum width.

> I agree, I have also found the same limitation with using Artworks for
> family trees.  (In fact I wrote an article for Qercus about it!)  There
> is also another problem which is that the RISC OS printer drivers have
> trouble with printing lines when pages become very wide.

Is the problem relating to lines the same one that you refer to below
(with PS3 drivers), and what is the nature of the problem?

> My solution to the problem in summary is:

> 1. Use Artworks, ignoring the page size, to do things like set the text
> colours and line widths.

> 2. Do all editing in Open Vector (this is the only thing I've found that
> can edit very wide vector graphics files on RISC OS.

What editing weren't you able to do with ArtWorks?

> 3. Save as a Drawfile.

> 4. Use Drawprint from Sinenomine to split the drawfile into pages for
> printing or output to a multi-page .pdf file.

Yes, drawprint looks excellent and seems to handle the biggest files
I've tried with it. Unfortunately it didn't offer a route to producing
a (very large) single page pdf.

> (This workflow was working perfectly but recently I have found some
> corruption creeping in to pages after the first one - I think it may be
> since the postscript 3 driver came out but have not had the time to prove
> this.  The work around is just to print each page separately.)

Is this the 'line corruption' you mentioned above?

> However, it would be great if both Artworks and the RISC OS printer
> drivers properly supported very wide pages.

Agreed.

--
Regards,
TerryK