Re: [artworks] Page Size Limitations

  • From: "Rob Hemmings (news2)" <robnews@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 09:00:56 +0000 (GMT)

In article <98e48b9551.Terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <tez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <5195604244robnews@xxxxxxxxxx>
>           "Rob Hemmings (news2)" <robnews@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The drawfile concerned is a family tree and I wanted to use Artworks
> >> to create a single page pdf of the tree. This it will do
> >> successfully, but it is limited to the defined page, ie 3000mm
> >> maximum width.

> > I agree, I have also found the same limitation with using Artworks
> > for family trees.  (In fact I wrote an article for Qercus about it!)
> > There is also another problem which is that the RISC OS printer
> > drivers have trouble with printing lines when pages become very wide.

> Is the problem relating to lines the same one that you refer to below
> (with PS3 drivers), and what is the nature of the problem?

No, there are two separate problems.  The fundamental one with the RISC
OS printer drivers just means that lines disappear from the print out
once they get over a certain distance from the left hand edge.

The more recent problem is that text ends up in the wrong position on the
page but this has only started happening relatively recently so I'm sure
can be fixed.  I have just not had time to diagnose exactly what is
causing the error but I suspect an interaction between Drawprint and the
Postscript 3 driver.

> > My solution to the problem in summary is:

> > 1. Use Artworks, ignoring the page size, to do things like set the
> > text colours and line widths.

> > 2. Do all editing in Open Vector (this is the only thing I've found
> > that can edit very wide vector graphics files on RISC OS.

> What editing weren't you able to do with ArtWorks?

The type of editing could all have been done with Artworks but the
advantage of Vector is that it is not limited to Artworks page width.

> > 3. Save as a Drawfile.

> > 4. Use Drawprint from Sinenomine to split the drawfile into pages for
> > printing or output to a multi-page .pdf file.

> Yes, drawprint looks excellent and seems to handle the biggest files
> I've tried with it. Unfortunately it didn't offer a route to producing
> a (very large) single page pdf.

I agree.  My requirement was slightly different which was to print out my
family tree tiled onto a large number of sheets of A3 joined together
horizontally.  When printed it takes up the whole width of a stage in a
small hall!

> > (This workflow was working perfectly but recently I have found some
> > corruption creeping in to pages after the first one - I think it may
> > be since the postscript 3 driver came out but have not had the time
> > to prove this.  The work around is just to print each page
> > separately.)

> Is this the 'line corruption' you mentioned above?

See my comments above.

> > However, it would be great if both Artworks and the RISC OS printer
> > drivers properly supported very wide pages.

> Agreed.

I would really like it if Artworks and the printer drivers let me edit
very wide trees in Artworks and then print them out (tiled) directly from
Artworks.  It would save a great deal of time and complexity.  The one
other feature that would make Artworks perfect for this is if it included
"connector" lines that automatically moved when you moved the box to
which they are attached.