Re: [artworks] ArtWorks PDF export, with text, to Xara

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 20:13:40 +0200

In message <4f99c81b98bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Brian Bailey <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So far, all the plain graphics files seem to export OK and are readable in
> both AdobeReader 8.1 and XaraExtremePro4. The files are exported as
> drawings not pages. I'll be rash and say that they appear to display
> perfectly.

> However, the files containing drawings and text have me baffled. They
> display OK in AdobeReader but not Xara - the drawing is fine but not the
> text. Again the files are exported as a drawing not a page, with the fonts
> embedded.

Like other PDF importers (e.g., ArtWorks 2.8) Xtreme ignores embedded
fonts, so in the general case the file imported with editable text
does not look like in the PDF file, unless you have the same font
installed. It would help to know what exactly is wrong. Do you mean
the font does not look like in RISC OS? Or do you see incorrect
characters? Actually, even the latter would not be too surprising
considering the way ArtWorks export text in Type3 fonts. Text exported
to PDF from ArtWorks is not very friendly regarding importing it
somewhere else - I only discovered that when writing the PDF importer.
So, that might be improved in the future. Until then you will have
better success using a RISC OS font in ArtWorks that either has a
Type1 definition (e.g., EFF "Publisher" fonts) or the standard
PostScript fonts (Trinity, Homerton, Corpus).