Re: [artworks] ArtWorks PDF export, with text, to Xara

  • From: Brian Bailey <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 20:02:08 +0100

In article <d956cc994f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> Like other PDF importers (e.g., ArtWorks 2.8) Xtreme ignores embedded
> fonts, so in the general case the file imported with editable text does
> not look like in the PDF file, unless you have the same font installed.
> It would help to know what exactly is wrong. Do you mean the font does
> not look like in RISC OS? Or do you see incorrect characters? Actually,
> even the latter would not be too surprising considering the way
> ArtWorks export text in Type3 fonts. Text exported to PDF from ArtWorks
> is not very friendly regarding importing it somewhere else - I only
> discovered that when writing the PDF importer. So, that might be
> improved in the future. Until then you will have better success using a
> RISC OS font in ArtWorks that either has a Type1 definition (e.g., EFF
> "Publisher" fonts) or the standard PostScript fonts (Trinity, Homerton,
> Corpus).

Umm, I half expected something like that which you have described. I
rather felt advice I have received elsewhere was rather too sanguine.

I am using EFF Michael in RISC OS. I have also loaded EFF Michael in
Windows Xp, too, but seemingly without any effect. As far as I can tell
most of the characters are displaying, except that instead of being
formatted they are all heaped up one on top of the other, so to speak.

Your last sentence is a bit alarming, it might mean re-doing 10 years work!

I should be glad of your further thoughts, please.

Cheers, Brian