Re: [artworks] ArtWorks PDF export, with text, to Xara

  • From: Brian Bailey <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 21:48:17 +0100

In article <c401d2994f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4f99d0c6c5bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Brian Bailey
>           <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <d956cc994f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
> >    <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Like other PDF importers (e.g., ArtWorks 2.8) Xtreme ignores embedded
> >> fonts, so in the general case the file imported with editable text
> >> does not look like in the PDF file, unless you have the same font
> >> installed. It would help to know what exactly is wrong. Do you mean
> >> the font does not look like in RISC OS? Or do you see incorrect
> >> characters? Actually, even the latter would not be too surprising
> >> considering the way ArtWorks export text in Type3 fonts. Text
> >> exported to PDF from ArtWorks is not very friendly regarding
> >> importing it somewhere else - I only discovered that when writing the
> >> PDF importer. So, that might be improved in the future. Until then
> >> you will have better success using a RISC OS font in ArtWorks that
> >> either has a Type1 definition (e.g., EFF "Publisher" fonts) or the
> >> standard PostScript fonts (Trinity, Homerton, Corpus).

> > Umm, I half expected something like that which you have described. I
> > rather felt advice I have received elsewhere was rather too sanguine.

> > I am using EFF Michael in RISC OS.

> Which should be fine because it is an EFF font, so it probably has an
> associated Type1 file and what I wrote above regarding Type3 fonts does
> not apply. By the way, the above was not very clear: The comment about
> exported text not being "friendly regarding importing" is really about
> text in Type3 fonts, not in general.

> > I have also loaded EFF Michael in Windows Xp, too, but seemingly
> > without any effect. As far as I can tell most of the characters are
> > displaying, except that instead of being formatted they are all heaped
> > up one on top of the other, so to speak.

> If so, then that is clearly a bug in Xtreme's PDF import (or, heaven
> forbid, in its text formatting, which is my code ;-)). Does it happen
> for all text in this font?

I've only used Michael, so yes it does appear to be happening to all text.
But, some text characters appear to be missing. There is no formatting.
Ah, the lost characters are identical and if they are stacked they would
not all be visible, I think that might be an explanation in part.

> > Your last sentence is a bit alarming, it might mean re-doing 10 years
> > work!

> Not at all. I think you can expect this to work.

You lost me there Martin. Why should I think that? Clearly something
doesn't work at the moment, even if it's only my brain.

Brian