[AR] Re: The Atlantic: Elon Musk and SpaceX Want to Fly From NYC to Shanghai in 39 Minutes

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 14:02:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:

As for barf bags, for a less-than-an-hour flight that'll make a roller coaster look tame...

I think this issue is being grossly exaggerated. The reason why the NASA Vomit Comet made almost everyone sick was not that it exposed people to 2-3G, or that it exposed people to 0G, but that it went back and forth between them *over and over and over*.

As I understand it, merely cutting the number of parabolas from NASA's usual 50ish to 10-20 dramatically reduces the incidence of motion sickness. And here we're talking about doing *one*.

The comment about getting motion sick on a quick glance out the window at high G is just mistaken -- it's confusing linear high-G with *centrifuge* high-G, where the *rotation* scrambles your gyros if you turn your head suddenly. There's no reason for a ballistic transport to be doing high-angular-rate maneuvers.

...the passengers can just stay strapped in the entire time. Helps some, I understand. (Helps some in my experience too, come to think of it.)

Indeed, spacesickness wasn't really recognized as a problem until the spacecraft got big enough for people to unstrap and move around; that made the symptoms unmistakable. (Although milder forms of it were undoubtedly present earlier -- the politics of astronauts vs. flight surgeons meant that in-flight medical problems were bad for an astronaut's career, so inconspicuous problems often went unreported. Despite what the article implies, astronauts *do* get spacesick: about 60% admit to having symptoms "and most of the rest are lying" -- only maybe 10% are completely unaffected.)

The short duration would probably help too. Spacesickness takes time to develop; it's not instantaneous.

The economics of the idea do seem questionable, especially with an expendable upper stage. The medical side shouldn't be a big issue.