[AR] Re: The Atlantic: Elon Musk and SpaceX Want to Fly From NYC to Shanghai in 39 Minutes

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:59:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017, William Claybaugh wrote:

This is a "settled" issue in international law: a reason the Eisenhower Administration prevented the launching of an American satellite in 1956 was so the Soviets would do it first and the US failure to protest it as a violation of airspace would then settle the question...or so a memo from the time claims.

Reference? The historical studies I've seen (e.g. Bille & Lishock, "The First Space Race") found no indication of that. Setting a precedent for right of peaceful overflight was definitely considered important (at a very high level -- the folks doing the work weren't told about that), but last I heard, it appeared that the idea that the Soviets might set that precedent was just never taken seriously.