[AR] Re: Test this weekend...

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:33:35 -0600

That's what drove me to build a 250 lb engine even though I had a working 100 lb engine. With reasonable effort, I could only miniaturize valves, fittings, etc. so much and when I started adding up the empty weights, the vehicle would have been too heavy for the 100 lb engine. So far I'm in the box for the 250 lb engine - my dry mass spreadsheet shows about 45 lb.

-Bob

On 11/28/2015 12:32 AM, Henrik Schultz wrote:

I support that. There is a minimum size and weight for any component, below which it becomes impossible to fabricate, for amateurs at least. Hence mass ratios start going the wrong way.
Years ago on aRocket I ranted about not being able to find high pressure solenoide valves small enough for my experimental biprop.
To which John Carmack commented: "Why don't you just build a bigger rocket? Seriously...!"
Thanks John. I hindsight I had so much to learn.
/H