[AR] Re: PEPCON AP explosion report

  • From: Bruce Beck <bbeck7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 09:34:01 -0600

I find the drift equally entertaining.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:50 AM, James Padfield <james.padfield@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Peter, if you don't mind I'll email you off list - I feel, as interesting
as this might be to some people, that we may be drifting a bit OT. Unless
anyone thinks it is relevant and asks us to keep it on-list...

On 23 July 2015 at 16:26, Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 23/07/15 13:58, James Padfield wrote:

Peter, that sounds like it could be an interesting student project...
Investigate the shock sensitivity and critical diameter of "pristine" AP
crystals, and then heat treat them to produce the strange porous
crystals we are talking about. What do you think? I still have a good
relationship with my previous employer, perhaps we could come up with a
plan, I can contact them and we could do some research into the matter.

Sounds good to me, please let me know if I can help. Can do math :).

I can't do this myself, for legal (and practical) reasons, here in the UK
- if I could, I would.

btw, if there's a published paper, I wouldn't mind 4th author - I need to
up my publication status by mid-2017 if possible. Not something I usually
care a jot about, but it has become a little more relevant recently.

-- Peter Fairbrother

On 23 July 2015 at 13:55, Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

On 23/07/15 11:39, James Padfield wrote:

Peter: I helped with a student project a couple of years ago at
the
university I was working at. She was examining baking AP (I
don't
recall the initial particle size) at fairly high temperatures
(200,
maybe 220 degC) to alter the particle porosity. As you say,
some mass
is lost, 30% sounds about right, and the resulting particles are
no
longer regular crystals, but porous. She took some nice Scanning
Electron Microscope photos of the particles. She then
formulated them
(IIRC) with PVC/DOA binder system (easier than mucking about
with a
curable HTPB/IPDI system). Don't recall how far she progressed
with the
project, I don't believe it got as far as measuring burnrates...

James: What I'd really like to know is how the detonatability
changes. The product has submicron particles, which would be easy to
detonate if they were normal crystals - but they aren't, and I don't
know what happens.

IMO this could be very significant, for AP in fires ..

John: Thinking again about AP flowing. while it does not melt in
bulk, it may flow as a bulk powder in some circumstances. If it is
for instance on top of and reacting with tarmac or polythene, the
reaction will produce lots of gas, at a prodigious rate.

This effusion of gas may be fast enough to fluidise any overlying AP
powder, which would then flow almost like a liquid.

-- Peter Fairbrother