[AR] Re: PEPCON AP explosion report

  • From: rclague@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:46:42 +0000

Propellants deflagrate. Warheads detonate. Propellant detonations are called
fatal accidents.

-R

From: "John Dom" <johndom@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:40:13
To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AR] Re: PEPCON AP explosion report

Fairbrother wrote on 210715:

But 700 psi or 43 bars to have NH4ClO4 auto-decompose like a monoprop?
Can't speak for Anthony, but he said it would act as a monoprop, ie
flame would spread, at 700 psi - not that it would auto-decompose.

Matter of definition. The best way I can describe what a monoprop is, is
that it works because it relatively slowly auto-decomposes or catalytically
decomposes into gaseous products which next offer propulsion. H2O2 and N2H4
come to mind.
Detonating materials are considered propellants for guns maybe, not
monopropellants.

jd