[AR] Re: PEPCON AP explosion report

  • From: Bruce Beck <bbeck7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:15:26 -0600

Don't be concerned if more than 15 micron particle size or when mixed with
fuels at a concentration of 85% or higher.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:08 AM, James Padfield <james.padfield@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Thank you, that is indeed interesting.

I may as well tell you what I'm specifically interested in, as some on
this list may know the information I am looking for, or know where to find
it.

I have just discovered that there are 5 x 200kg drums of AP being stored
across from my office. I am aware that AP's propensity to detonation is
dependent on the particle size, but can find no definitive information on
the interweb. For example, I was looking to buy a sample of AP from Sigma
Aldrich as a standard for analysis, and noticed that according to the MSDS
it is listed as H201 Mass Explosion Hazard (or R3 Extreme Risk of Explosion
in the old R phrases) (see link below). Sigma Aldrich give their AP
particle size as > 45 micron.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/fluka/09910?lang=it&region=IT

Other information I can find seems to say that different states in the US
classify it differently, the US Army classifies it as 1.1 at < 15 um, etc
etc...

Wikipedia says that the AP involved in the PEPCON explosion was nominally
200 micron, so fairly coarse, in fact comparable to the drums in the store
opposite my office. I am trying to confirm that figure for 200 um as I am
wary of trusting Wikipedia, hence why I'm trying to find the official
accident reports.

So, anything anyone knows about whether I should be concerned about it or
not would be welcome...

On 20 July 2015 at 17:22, Derek Lyons <fairwater@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not the requested report, but interesting none the less;

http://www.triodyne.com/SAFETY~1/SB_V10N3.PDF