[AR] Re: PEPCON AP explosion report

  • From: "Anthony Cesaroni" <acesaroni@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 10:38:14 -0400

There’s also a U.S. patent that describes subjecting AP with a higher than
normal moisture content to vacuum and heat using at higher than normal drying
parameters. This results in extensive micro-fracturing of the particles. The
burn rate increases but other ballistic characteristics can as well. The
repeatability of the practice is suspect.

A few years ago, there was a Delta failure shortly after launch. The burning
propellant chunks from the GEM solid boosters left much larger impact craters
than were expected when they hit the ground. This led the investigators to
suspect localized DDT upon impact. Shortly thereafter, the DoD began seeking
wide area gap testing on all solid rocket motors over 6” in diameter as I
recall. The DOT declined claiming the DoD did not have jurisdiction.

On a side note, I once examined a particle of AP in a scanning electron
microscope without any sputter coating and at a fairly high acceleration
voltage. When I zoomed in, the electron beam bored an almost perfectly square
hole through the particle!

Best.

Anthony J. Cesaroni

President/CEO