[AR] Re: Arocket Pump Progress

  • From: Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:21:51 +0100

On 16/07/15 02:39, Monroe L. King Jr. wrote:

What does this mean? "BOTE, but sanity-checked: a full analysis takes a
lot of work. This should be reasonably OK."

It's roughly designed, only to back-of-the-envelope standards, not a full all-out design; but I did check it for mistakes, and it should be suitable for a preliminary effort.

I would be pleased if anyone else would like to sanity-check my figures and reasoning.

Once built and performance is measured then it can be tweaked to give better performance, but it should give reasonable performance as-is.

Here's how I designed it:

Input -> Mass Flow = 0.89 lb/s = 404g/s
Input -> density 0.711

flow = 568 ml/s

Input -> DP = 870 psi = 6MPa

A Barske pump gets its head in two ways, from centrifugal force increasing the pressure, and from dynamic pressure recovery of the fast-flowing fluid slowing down in the tapered volute.

A full mathematical analysis shows that both these effects are equal in an ideal pump, so I set the designed dynamic pressure of the flow to half the design pressure, or 3 MPa.

At a density of 0.771 (gasoline) an output flow speed of 91.85 m/s is required to give the necessary 3 MPa dynamic pressure.

tip speed v = 91.85 m/s

from this we can calculate the outlet aperture effective area = flow/velocity

= 0.000568÷91.85 = 0.000006184 m^2 = 6.2 mm^2 -> 2.8 mm dia

in practice this needs to be a little larger, say 3.0-3.2 mm, as edge effects will slow the flow down.

Input -> N = 50 kRPM = 833 rps

and knowing v and N we can calculate the required diameter = 129.9÷833÷pi = 0.035m

A 35mm diameter gives a swept area = 962 mm^2.

We want the fluid to go around about five times between entrance and exit, so we consider:

desired volume at 6 turns: 568,000x6/833 =4091 mm^3
which divided by the swept area gives a blade height of 4.253mm

desired volume at 5 turns: 3409 mm^3 blade height = 3.544mm

Now some of the volume will be filled with blades, and we want at least 3.2mm at the edge so that the exit hole will fit, so choose blade edge height of 3.5mm.

From looking at other pumps, both physical and theoretical, and knowing the general shape needed, I chose a blade center height of 4.2 mm (a SWAG).

The blade free hole diameter is another SWAG, based on a similar pump I designed in detail some years ago with a 45 psi input pressure (sorry, can't remember the NPSHR).

> The one Peter F. has thrown out there looks to me to be a bit too
> small

You might well be right - on reflection, you could increase the diameter from 35mm to 38mm. That would correspond to an entirely reasonable flow coefficient of 0.8. No need to change the other parameters.

The pictures and diagrams Andrew and Troy have posted should give you enough ideas to fill in the other details - although I do not understand the reason for extending of the flat base disk beyond the blades, and my design does _not_ have that feature.

-- Peter Fairbrother