Re: [ARMini-support] Printing from ArtWorks fails frequently / Syslog

  • From: Jim Nagel <jimmini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 00:05:38 GMT

Robert Hunter  wrote on 14 Mar:

>> [Jim wrote:] Do you have !Syslog running as part of your boot setup?
>> And its extension, !Wimplog, too?  They automatically copy error
>> messages to a file.  (Both in my opinion really ought to be standard
>> in Ro 5, as they are in 4 and 6.)

> No I do not run these items of software.  I would appreciate being
> advised where I can find them.

!Syslog was originally by Jon Ribbens of Doggysoft ages ago; Tom
Hughes took it over and 32-bitted it.  Freeware from
https://compton.nu/riscos/syslog -- current version is 0.20.
   (Note that you don't need it with RiscOS Select because it's built
in; the Select version is "!Syslogs" with an -s.)
   Put it in !Boot.Resources and doubleclick it to activate it.  Next
time you boot it will be activated automatically.

!Wimplog is an extension by Theo Markettos, because !Syslog(s)
unfortunately omits to trap Wimp messages such as those niggly "Abort
on data transfer at XYZ".  Current version is 1.02 (dated 2003):
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~theom/riscos/othersoft.html
   Also put this in !Boot.Resources.

Error messages will be stored in the directory !Syslog.Logs -- I find
it handy to keep a shortcut on my pinboard and to view the directory
in date order so the latest message is at the top.

Both utilities contain a helpfile.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk