[argyllcms] Re: what is the best supported colorimeter?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:10:26 +1000

Joshua Hoblitt wrote:

I just found out about Argyll today and I have to say I'm pretty excited
about it.  I'd given up hope of being able to profile my monitor under
Linux.  As I don't yet own a colorimeter and I was wondering if any of
the (three?) devices supported by Argyll are 'better' supported then the
others.  I also wouldn't mind some suggestions as to a reputable vendor
that will sells colorimeter with the minimum of bundled (win32)
software.  Any advice would be appreciated!

All are equally supported, but the DTP92 is no longer available new, as it has been superseded by the DTP94. The Spectrolino is not an instrument you would buy just for profiling displays (it's rather expensive, unless you manage to pick one up second hand). You can get the DTP94 without the bundled software in many places, but it may depend on which country you are in. I have one report that it is difficult to get it without software in Europe. If that's the case, I'd try contacting sales at X-Rite USA, and ask them how to get the DTP94 without software, also explaining that the bundled software is no good to you, since you need to run it under Linux. It may not do any good, but it sends them the message that there is demand.

cheers,