[argyllcms] Re: what is the best supported colorimeter?

  • From: Ewald Reisenberger <erei@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:38:25 +0200

Hello,

I have some questions, is the xrite dtp94 device, which is supported by argyll, equal to the MonacoOPTIX device?
It seems to be the first "affordable" solution for monitor calibration under linux for home users.
Does anybody know where to get this device in Austria, maybe Germany?

Best regards,

Ewald Reisenberger

Graeme Gill schrieb:

Joshua Hoblitt wrote:

I just found out about Argyll today and I have to say I'm pretty excited
about it.  I'd given up hope of being able to profile my monitor under
Linux.  As I don't yet own a colorimeter and I was wondering if any of
the (three?) devices supported by Argyll are 'better' supported then the
others.  I also wouldn't mind some suggestions as to a reputable vendor
that will sells colorimeter with the minimum of bundled (win32)
software.  Any advice would be appreciated!

All are equally supported, but the DTP92 is no longer available
new, as it has been superseded by the DTP94. The Spectrolino
is not an instrument you would buy just for profiling
displays (it's rather expensive, unless you manage to pick
one up second hand). You can get the DTP94 without the bundled
software in many places, but it may depend on which country you are
in. I have one report that it is difficult to get it without
software in Europe. If that's the case, I'd try contacting sales
at X-Rite USA, and ask them how to get the DTP94 without software,
also explaining that the bundled software is no good to you, since
you need to run it under Linux. It may not do any good, but it sends
them the message that there is demand.

cheers,