[argyllcms] Re: has anyone tried ColorVision PrintFIX ?

  • From: Stephan Bourgeois <strangelv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:30:15 +0100

Graeme Gill wrote:

Reading between the lines, one gets the impression that
it's just a scanner, nothing more fancy. It is possible
for them to get a better result with this combination though.

I got that impression as well from reading the reviews. IMHO what Colourvision is attempting to do is to factor out the human error at the scanner. Also, if they control the scanner, the scanner driver is not going to interfere with the readings by doing a conversion to sRGB for instance. (This is what the windows driver of my scanner does by default). The reader/scanner probably produces a profile with a colour cast, but that is known by Colourvision, and they can compensate for that in a database of "supported" printers. This would explain why using 3rd party paper/inks would produce "disappointing" results. At first sight I thought the reader was a reconditionned Visioneer Paperport. But at closer inspection this doesn't seem to be the case.

As a pure thought-experiment, it would be interesting to design a scanner with the same illumination as described in the paper about the colourmouse. The scanner would either do 8 passes (!) or cycle fast enough between 8 series of LEDs.

Thanks for all your replies. Yours,
Stephan.