[argyllcms] Re: colour management and... photo lab

  • From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:57:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Marek,

Forget about printing in-store. You can go to different stores running the same
machine and get different results. The employees in chain stores are not colour
professionals and you can never be sure they regularly test and adjust their
machines.

I have found that submitting prints using the web service (here in Australia
several chain stores uses the same Fuji lab) gives satisfactory and reliable
results. And then if I get prints done on an Agfa machine with Kodak paper at a
pro lab, they can look slightly different again.

Finally, it's really difficult to get prints to match the a computer display.
You really need to start with a good display (sRGB gamut at least), calibrate
it to the appropriate white point, reduce the contrast ratio to match printed
material, profile it, use a colour-managed photo-viewer, view the print under
quality lighting etc.

You haven't given enough information to identify the problems in your
comparisons. And this forum is about operating argyllcms, I thought, and not
about solving general colour management problems.

I also question why people ask for advice on colorimeters and displays. Don't
they know how to use internet search engines for research? Are they too lazy to
read for themselves?

Stephen.