[argyllcms] Re: colour management and... photo lab

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:38:12 +0400

Just try to find a small lab with direct access to an operator. In such case
You and operator can find the best, the most stable way.
I think, that the best for profiling will be the print with most wide color
gamut. Try to print a test chart with maximum color gamut, for example a
rectangle TIMAGE from ArgyllCMS (timage -t -r 600 -s Test_gamut.tif) and print
it different way.
I suppose only one of two variants can be the best: without profile and with
AdobeRGB1998.
You should take in account that minilab do the gamut compression with images,
even You ask don't correct the color. So You have do the two-pass profiling.

20 июня 2011, 02:10 от Marek Matulka <marek.matulka@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hello everybody,

I've been subscribed to this list for quite a while.

Anyway, yesterday I've done a “test” - developed (raw -> jpg) 5 photos, each
one in three versions: with Adobe RGB profile, with sRGB profile and without
profile. So resulted in 15 photos, which I had printed at Jessops in Kingston.

My expectations were as follows: photos with Adobe profile should be more or
less identical to those with sRGB embedded (as I see it that way on my screen),
photos without profile should be either printed as they were, or should have
sRGB profile assumed.

To my surprise, all photos were printed differently!

Adobe RGB prints shown right colours, but all prints were darkened.

sRGB prints shown colours as if no profile was used, photos without profile
were similarly printed to those with sRGB profile, yet still were bit different.

When processing my order at Jessops (yes, you have to do via their kiosk, they
are unable to print your prints from the CD apparently!) I've selected an
option not to correct colours etc.

So, I am lost. I've sent same test photos to photobox and a digilab pro in
London, I am still worried, that I'll get similar results...

any ideas how to get best prints from the lab? having calibrated environment at
home?

Many thanks,
Marek

--