[argyllcms] Re: colour management and... photo lab

  • From: Derin Korman <derin.korman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:52:39 +0300

I meant to refer to a camera icc profile and not a display when I
mentioned assigning a profile and converting it back to your working
profile, your screen profile is only used for display purposes as
managed by the computer's CMM. It is very likely that your printer
assumes srgb and on top, boosts contrast/saturation instead of a
linear output for "better" looking prints, I have never seen a printer
that assumes Adobe RGB files. If your unprofiled(do you strip the icc
profiles, what do you mean non profiled? the computer would have to
assume a profile unless you are printing without color management, it
might just be that the CMM assumes srgb before printing) prints
resemble your srgb prints, then your printer most definitely assumes
srgb and that is the 'correct color' if we are to stick to the printer
settings/parameters.

Workflow Clarification:
Output as Working Space (adobe/prophoto)
Assign Camera Calibration Profile (that you made from a file output to
your specific working space)
Convert to Working Space Profile (using relative/perceptual depending
on content, relative might be a better match as device profiles can be
goofy in defining gamut)
Manipulate
Save Master File
Convert to sRGB when exporting a print file to third party printers /
Convert to your printer profile in print window and disable printer
driver color management / Convert to sRGB and choose color management
in printer driver settings

Best,
-derin