[argyllcms] colour management and... photo lab

  • From: Marek Matulka <marek.matulka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:09:19 +0100

Hello everybody,

I've been subscribed to this list for quite a while.

Anyway, yesterday I've done a “test” - developed (raw -> jpg) 5 photos, each
one in three versions: with Adobe RGB profile, with sRGB profile and without
profile. So resulted in 15 photos, which I had printed at Jessops in
Kingston.

My expectations were as follows: photos with Adobe profile should be more or
less identical to those with sRGB embedded (as I see it that way on my
screen), photos without profile should be either printed as they were, or
should have sRGB profile assumed.

To my surprise, all photos were printed differently!

Adobe RGB prints shown right colours, but all prints were darkened.

sRGB prints shown colours as if no profile was used, photos without profile
were similarly printed to those with sRGB profile, yet still were bit
different.

When processing my order at Jessops (yes, you have to do via their kiosk,
they are unable to print your prints from the CD apparently!) I've selected
an option not to correct colours etc.

So, I am lost. I've sent same test photos to photobox and a digilab pro in
London, I am still worried, that I'll get similar results...

any ideas how to get best prints from the lab? having calibrated environment
at home?

Many thanks,
Marek

--