[argyllcms] Re: another X error

  • From: Stefan Döhla <color@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:36:37 +0200

Graeme,

Graeme Gill schrieb:
Frédéric wrote:
prudent, and these kind of restriction should not be a problem. More and more people are using dual-screen config, and as ATI/NVidia are the last video cards manufacturers, MergedFB/TwinView configs will be more and more common.

I think it is really unfortunate that NVidia/ATI have been sloppy and uncaring of the requirements of users needing color accurate display on X11. It is not aiding the adoption of Linux/X11 when display calibration is broken for users who adopt these manufacturers solutions. If users want full acceleration for multi-screen and color calibration, they will basically be forced to switch to OSX or MSWindows.
Did you already look into the fglrx API? This seems to be ATI's API for accessing the LUT with their own (closed-source) drivers (which don't work with the default XVidMode-Ext). I do personally only own an NVidia card but implemented the API for xcalib on a user's request. It looks like being some mixture of their Win32 stuff and XVidMode-Ext. At least one can access all ATI cards by some kind of index - but don't know how flexible it really is.

The bad thing about it is: I don't know whether one can detect the accelerated fglrx driver with a normal application easily.

Stefan