[argyllcms] Re: another X error

  • From: Frédéric <frederic.mantegazza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:26:34 +0200

On Sunday 13 August 2006 05:29, Graeme Gill wrote:

> > Well, I realised that I didn't tried Argyll-0.60 at home - only at
> > work... And I also have a X error (not the same) :o/
> >
> > X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
> > for operation)
> >   Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
> >   Minor opcode of failed request:  4 (XF86VidModeGetMonitor)
> >   Value in failed request:  0x4c
> >   Serial number of failed request:  12
> >   Current serial number in output stream:  12
> >
> > (unlike Mike, it does not work with 'dispwin -d 1 -r').
> >
> > I'm using Xorg 7.0/radeon driver, with Mergedfb to have dual screen
> > (this is not Xinerama). I tried in clone mode, and it works fine.
>
> Hal Engel has reported this problem to me as well.
> Currently I suspect a problem with the NVidia TwinView and/or Mergedfb,
> not allowing access to the underlying screens, thereby preventing
> access to the Video LUTs. You can't calibrate a screen unless the
> Video Luts can be accessed.
>
> I really need someone with this problem to trace through the code
> in dispwin.c from line 338 in dispwin.c, and note what happens :-
> ie. is the Xinerama extension emulated by Mergedfb/TwinView,
> how many screens are reported by Xinerama or ScreenCount(),
> which screen does the X protocol error trigger on, etc.

Ok, I'll do that and send you back informations.

> Currently the code assumes that if the Xinerama extension is
> present, then only the main X11 protocol accesses emulate having
> a merged screen, and that other extensions (such as
> XFree86-VidModeExtension) still see each screen as separate. The
> XF86VidModeGetMonitor() call is simply to get the name of the screen,
> while XF86VidModeGet/SetGammaRamp() calls are used to set the Video
> LUTs.
>
> If Mergedfb and/or NVidia TwinView provide a single merged screen for
> normal X11 protocol accesses, and use the Xinerama extension to provide
> hints to applications about how the screens are laid out, but also
> make the XFree86-VidModeExtension appear to be connected to only one
> screen, then color calibration simply can't work.

In my case (ATI radeon in MergedFB mode), your are right: the LUT is loaded
for the entire screen, ie the 2 monitors. This is the way I work so far (I
calibrated my screen with argyll 0.53 which works fine). It is not really
a problem, as I have a CRT monitor connected to my laptop. This CRT is
used to display the pictures, while the laptop LCD screen is used to
display tools.

The only thing needed in this case is to be able to display the color
patches on the CRT screen...

--
   Frédéric

   http://www.gbiloba.org