[argyllcms] Re: another X error

  • From: Per Baekgaard <baekgaard@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:00:18 +0200

Graeme Gill wrote:

Per Baekgaard wrote:

Anyway, in my case, I'm using the NVidia server, and have it set up to
_duplicate_ (clone) the same image on both the DVI and analog output.
The reason being that I can then use my old, analog, switchbox to change
between the PC's connect, but then also improve the picture quality
(when and if I want) by pressing a key on the LCD display to select the
digital output.

You simply can't calibrate multiple monitors independently, if the underlying video drivers don't allow programmatic access to the individual VideoLUTs that implement calibration.
You are of course right, and I think I failed to convey my "point" (if there ever was one).

There is only one monitor and one image (albeit cloned on two outputs) in my case -- but there may, of course, be multiple LUTs in the graphics cards.

On my system, I have only one monitor, and for convoluted reasons, it is connected to both the analog and digital output of my graphics card, running TwinView and displaying the same image. In practice, I thus see exactly the same image whether I select the digital or analog input on my one and only monitor.

When doing anything critical, I use the digital signal. The reason I wanted to have dispcal/dispread etc work even when TwinView is enabled was just one of convenience during the calibration process, so that I didn't have to change the xorg file just to calibrate... and then of course to be able to later on verify that my system is indeed doing what I want it to, and installls the proper LUT etc also when being used in the configuration I normally use it it.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that the latest patch seemingly works fully as expected on my system, and I have been able to start the calibration process, using a DTP-94.

I really appreciate, once again, all the work you're doing, Graeme, for the benefit of the rest of us!

-- Per