[argyllcms] Re: Viewing chart readouts

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 00:11:57 +1100

Elena [service address] wrote:
Of course. May I ask you, what the expected XYZ values in a first hand .ti1
file (no preconditioning profile yet) are based on ? They look like a rough
extimation from some generic case assumption, is it so ?

There are some very generic device models used if there is no profile. For RGB
it is sRGB. Subtractive uses a simple dot gain and ink mixing model. It's not
very accurate in general, but some model is needed so as to be able to
compute spacer color values, and do strip recognition.

I'm asking, because I'm writing a quick and dirty code for personal TESTING
PURPOSES ONLY, to generate custom targets. So, I assume it's ok to generate
the XYZ extimations for every CMYK patch by simply making a 4D linear
interpolation, using as vertexes those you put in the trailing tables
"DENSITY_EXTREME_VALUES" and "DEVICE_COMBINATION_VALUES"...

Those are computed from the model or profile supplied to targen.