[argyllcms] Re: Viewing chart readouts

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:25:49 +0000

Hi,

On 30/12/10 22:46, Elena [service address] wrote:

So I ask: is there a way, without using hacks, to convert a .ti3 reading file
into a
picture, to visually check what you just read ?
Such conversion from xyz/spectral/whatsoever to RGB should, of course, be made
using
a proper illuminant and the monitor profile.

Not yet, sadly. The way I approach this is twofold. Firstly I use the -v switch in colprof so at the end of the profiling process I get a fitting error readout. For a decent inkjet on good paper, if the maximum error is much above 3 or 4 dE then I get suspicious of misreads.

Secondly, I perform an absolute colorimetric conversion of the original TIFF testchart, from the newly-created printer profile to the monitor's profile - i.e. soft-proof it - then display that fullscreen on a black background (without colour management since it's already targetted to the monitor) and visually compare the printed testchart with the proofed version.

An even better idea would be for chartread to open a gfx window to display
every time the currently read patch or strip.

Yes, that would be good.

And checking the numbers inside the .ti3 file by eye to detect serious
misreadings
is an impossible task (for a human, at least)

Indeed, though the fitting error report from colprof -v, (or profcheck if you want to check after the profile's complete) is a useful indicator of whether the readings are generally good, even if tracking down the actual bad patches is tedious! (Graeme's said the next release of profcheck will be able to print out patch names, so tracking down bad patches should get easier before too much longer.)

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson