[argyllcms] Re: Viewing chart readouts

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:36:17 +1100

Elena wrote:

Coming I from PM, I was used to the useful feature which allows to see on screen
the patch line you have just read - and at the end, the complete testchart
reading, with full colors. This way, one can suddently check for possible
misreadings, if something goes wrong.

Sure, but PM is a GUI based program that you paid real money for.

There are ways of checking for read errors in Argyll. The self fit report
is a major sanity check - if it's large then there could be misreads. profcheck
can then lead you to the misread strip. You can use chartread -r to
re-read a strip or patch.

Note that you can get a self fit error quickly by simplifying the profiler
task - e.g. "profile -v -ql -B -ni -no filename", before you
use whatever options you want for the real profile.

So I ask: is there a way, without using hacks, to convert a .ti3 reading file
into a
picture, to visually check what you just read ?
Such conversion from xyz/spectral/whatsoever to RGB should, of course, be made
using
a proper illuminant and the monitor profile.

An even better idea would be for chartread to open a gfx window to display
every time the currently read patch or strip.

Sorry, I've no intention of adding such a feature to the GNU licensed version
of Argyll.

Trusting on chartread's warning messages (eg. "you seem have read strip Q rather
than strip PP") is not always indicative that something has gone SERIOUSLY
wrong.
I get TONS of such messages when I read strips made almost entirely of dark
tones
(maybe because chartread has no mean to realize how some CMYK mixes could be
actually
  dark in the real world...?)

These messages will be a lot more accurate if you give it something to go on.
That means providing a more accurate profile to targen (ie., like the one
you have just created).

And checking the numbers inside the .ti3 file by eye to detect serious
misreadings
is an impossible task (for a human, at least)

Sure. That's why the expected XYZ values are put in there by targen. Feed
targen a more
accurate profile of what to expect (ie. bootstrap it), and the warnings will be
more relevant, and the discrepancies easier to spot.