[argyllcms] Re: Profiling between two images

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 21:31:35 +0100

Pascal de Bruijn wrote:

> Well yes, but no software has support for such a construction, but that
> would be really cool though.
>
> I still have one remaining issue, after inspecting some of my profiles, I
> noticed the single shaper curve can be a bit bumpy.  On most photo's I've
> checked so far this does not seem to have a visual consequence.

Yes, it's my feeling as well that the shapers of "-as" or "-aS" profiles
tend to attempt to compensate the natural limitations of a matrix for
data which simply can't be modelled exactly with a matrix-based model
(for instance data from non-colorimetric color sensors, etc.). The bumps
likely improve the fit to the training set, but they don't reflect the
actual OECF and I would not be sure whether the generalization to data
not in the training set is really improved by these bumps as well.

> However, is there a way to smooth the single shaper curve? In other words, not
> to change the general shape, but only to remove smaller deviations...

You could try "-ql", this will give you smoother shapers with fewer
degrees of freedom. At least I suggest that you don't use -qu. Using a
target with more patches may possibly improve the shapers as well.

Regards,
Gerhard