[argyllcms] Re: Profiling between two images

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:31:09 +0100

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
>> Well, I'm not betting my money on the fact it might work with different
>> camera's as well. I'm not sure how subject to change the spectral properties
>> of sensors are between generations...
>>

> Well, for a device independent solution I'd rather suggest a model which
> splits the camera's overall color transformation into two parts: 1) the
> colorimetric transformation from the raw color space to the processed
> color space [which preserves the colors, but does not alter them] and 2)
> an "artistic component" which additionally _alters_ the colors. The
> latter part of the transformation could then be treated as the "camera's
> style" and could be described by an abstract profile in a device
> independent way [i.e. this "style" could then be applied to arbitrary
> images in arbitrary color spaces, including of course raw images from
> other cameras, granted that you have a colorimetric profile for the raw
> color space of the other camera available].
>
> I.e. the overall model for the camera's transformation would then look like:
>
> raw color space -> colorimetric transformation -> PCS ->
> -> "camera style" -> PCS -> colorimetric transformation ->
> -> output color space (jpeg)

Well yes, but no software has support for such a construction, but that
would be really cool though.

I still have one remaining issue, after inspecting some of my
profiles, I noticed
the single shaper curve can be a bit bumpy.  On most photo's I've checked so
far this does not seem to have a visual consequence.

However, is there a way to smooth the single shaper curve? In other words, not
to change the general shape, but only to remove smaller deviations...

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn