[argyllcms] Re: Printing using an ICC profile

  • From: Pedro Côrte-Real <pedro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 00:56:29 -0800

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hmm. It's not in a loop, it's just going v e r y  slowly.
> (creating veronoi diagrams in multi-dimensional non-linear
> spaces is fraught with numerical/geometric issues). I'll
> see if I can find a way of avoiding this particular problem.

That's odd considering ~860-880 worked fast and then 900 slowed to a
crawl. Are you sure it isn't actually stuck in an infinite loop
because the numerical calculations are going around in circles?

>> All in all I'm happy enough. Need to redo the process for the other
>> papers. Should I just do a one phase calibration with 900 points based
>> on the Glossy profile?
>
> Probably, although (of course) it depends on how similar or different they
> are.

I just tried using the same profile but change the paper to a Luster
paper from Epson as well and it printed fairly ok (for that photo at
least), so I guess at least these two papers are close. The other
stuff maybe not. I'll have to see. But getting it down to 3 sheets of
paper for a profile is quite alright.

I've been printing more stuff though and skin tones are still slightly
yellowish compared to on-screen.  Would adding more points, adding
skin tones manually to .ti files or using the black_scaled srgb
profiles help with this? (I should probably also see the difference
the -d2 option makes).

I'm guessing the problem isn't the screen profile as I generated a LUT
profile with 2000 points for it. Is this the best way to profile an
IPS LCD panel screen by the way? I'm guessing this is better than the
matrix one. Should I put even more points? Since I don't have to read
it manually, even 100,000 points would be easy.

Cheers,

Pedro