[argyllcms] Re: Printing using an ICC profile

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:38:50 +0000

Hi :)

Pedro Côrte-Real wrote:

I then created the profile using the display profile as a basis. Is
this correct or should I use sRGB or some other working space?

$ colprof -v -qm -S <path/to/display/profile.icc> -cmt -dpp MyR2880Profile

Don't use the display profile unless your images really do originate in the monitor's colourspace, (This would be the case for images drawn from scratch using a non-colour-managed application, for example.)

When you print images using PhotoPrint the source profile is the one set as the "Default RGB Profile" in its colour management dialog. This will be used for RGB images that don't have an embedded profile, so use this as the source profile for colprof. (If your images consistently have some other profile embedded in them, then use that instead.)

Hope this helps.

If you end up with prints that are a little dark and muddy, you could also try using -cmd instead of -cmt (i.e. display with dim surround, thus colours appearing lighter on screen) - I tend to produce my own profiles this way, even with Argyll 1.1.0's new gamut mapping which itself goes some way to improving shadow detail.

It's also worth experimenting with other source profiles - despite the common advice to avoid the bastardized Version 2 sRGB profiles like the plague, using the black_scaled version from this page:
http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter
gives markedly different results, and in some situations I've found it helps with garish saturated dark colours and skin tones. As always experimentation is the key. Just make sure you use whichever profile you select consistently - i.e. use the same one with colprof's -S parameter and in PhotoPrint's colour management dialog.

If your skin tones are still way off after trying all this, then your problem is likely to be profile accuracy, so the answer may then be to hack some extra skin-tone patches into a .ti1 file manually, using a spreadsheet.

All the best
--
Alatsair M. Robinson