[argyllcms] Re: Printing using an ICC profile

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:11:53 +1100

Pedro Côrte-Real wrote:
I generated and read 2 Letter sized pages of patches (~200 in total):

I repeated the process twice using the previous profile
(PreviousProfile.icc) as an indication of which patches should be
generated. The third time didn't seem to show improvement over the
third.

screen. The second image I tried however had quite awful skin tones
with a lot of yellow in them. What can I be doing wrong here?

It could be many things, but I'd increase the number of patches.
If you have a budget of 600 patches, then you're probably
best to use them all on one chart, or divvy them up at least 1:4,
ie. 100 for the first pass, 500 for the second.

[Using a ruler and playing with printtarg might help in making
 more patches manageable :- see this for an impressive example :-)
<http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=32856332>]

You probably want targen -d2 (although this shouldn't make a huge
difference), and at some later stage when you feel like you've got
it all more under control, you might want to try running CMYK and
using calibration/linearization (assuming your workflow and
gutenprint permit this), since a better behaved printer is always
going to give a better result (Alastair Robinson might be able
to advise whether how worthwhile this is.)